Electrical Wiring, Switches and Panels Can Contain Asbestos

If you’re considering upgrading your electrical system in your home, consider the possibility that asbestos could have been used in your electrical panel, panel backing, switches or wiring. This material can be found in commercial applications and in residential properties.

If your home is older than 1990 asbestos could have been used to control heat, electrical current, and electrical fire. If you notice a felt-like material around electrical areas, it could be asbestos.  The purpose was that, if a short were to occur, the electrical cloth would not catch on fire due to the flame retardant properties of asbestos. If this material is showing signs of being brittle or breaking down, it’s extremely dangerous and should only be handled certified asbestos professional.

Asbestos Backing Material

Areas where asbestos is possible:

  • Electrical Wires insulated by Asbestos cloth
  • Electrical Backing Boards as a fire retardant
  • Electrical meters
  • Fuses in Panels
  • Electrical Panels
  • Light switches or light fittings sockets in old homes
  • Conduits and pipe runs (in ground)
  • Air-conditioning systems.

We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week & 365 days a year.

Call Toll Free 1-877-763-1540

Servicing the Okanagan Valley and Kootenays

Services: Asbestos removal services

Other blog posts on Asbestos:
Removal of asbestos roofing
Furnace heat shield containing asbestos
Asbestos attic remediation
Asbestos kitchen floor tiles
Asbestos ceiling tile
Asbestos duct wrap

%d bloggers like this: